Miami J Collar
A Miami J collar (cervical orthosis) restricts flexion and extension and can be used to manage several pathologies including cervical strain, arthritis, degenerative joint disease, and stable cervical spinal injuries. In addition, it can be used for post-surgical and post-halo management. Wear and Care Instructions:
1. Change the padding when soiled. Hand wash used padding with mild hand soap and let air dry. Do not blow dry the pads or place pads on a heater to dry.
2. When changing the padding, remove one pad and replace it before removing another. This prevents confusion since they are not labeled and are all different shapes.
3. Take 4 breaks daily for 15-20 minutes: once in the morning, once when showering, once in the afternoon, and once in the evening. Care should be taken to NOT take a break when there is a chance of falling asleep.
4. The Miami J collar must be worn when up and about, driving, and sleeping.
5. Remember, the brace is a reminder to maintain proper alignment during the healing process. If you feel the brace is restricting a particular motion, don’t do it.
6. If any of the above information contradicts instructions given by your physician, follow your physician’s instructions.
7. Do not hesitate to call our office if you have any questions or problems.